New Magellan Triton Software Announced
Magellan announced today new software for Magellan Triton owners, offering an improved basemap. The software was announced at the Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show in Orlando. Details on the improvements follow.
- User Experience: Users will now be able to enjoy enhanced features including the ability to load and search 500 waypoints, trails with 5,000 track points, and 20 routes; the implementation of the NMEA communication protocol for both USB and Serial communication; trail functionality; and improvements like the ability to select unique trail color in addition to other user-defined trail attribute definitions; and several other user interface and map display improvements.
- VantagePoint(TM) Software: Users will now be able to take advantage of a Window system trap application that alerts them of new Triton software updates. Additionally, the updated trails functionality and NMEA communication protocol are included in the latest VantagePoint software release to allow users to replay and customize their trails and perform GPS logging. VantagePoint software is available for free download at http://www.magellangps.com/VantagePoint.
- Product Accuracy: The accuracy of location information has been updated with improvements in latitude, longitude, heading, bearing, distance, date, time, elevation and speed. The accuracy of the internal memory and SD Card memory readings has also been improved.
- Searching: The ability to search for waypoints, geocaches and other place destinations is a vital part of an outdoor GPS device experience. Three areas of search-related improvements are the ability to search user data; the ability to search geographically (“nearest to”) a point of the map; and the ability to search for places within a map.
- Sensors: Improvements have been made to the functionality and performance of the electronic 3-axis compass and digital barometer; additionally, sensors are only used when necessary, extending the battery life. Two Triton models come equipped with sensors — the Triton 500 and the Triton 2000.
- PC and GPS Device Communications: A warning message to users trying to connect their Triton device to their PC for the first time will no longer be displayed as a result of an improved PC connection with certified Microsoft Windows USB driver.
- National Geographic TOPO! Explorer: National Geographic SuperQuads — a unique combination of USGS 1:24,000 topo quads, 4-meter aerial imagery and hybrid maps — are now available on Triton GPS devices through TOPO! Explorer and TOPO! Explorer Deluxe software products. New improvements include automatic Triton software updates, updated map export, complete Triton memory management for both user data and NGMaps and updated online user documentation.
- Topo USA (powered by AccuTerra): Intermap Technologies branded AccuTerra GPS map data is available to Triton users for online download now, and will soon be available in popular retail outlets. The retail product will be available on “plug ‘n play” SD Cards, which can be simply inserted into compatible Triton devices for instant access to national GPS maps. The vector-based interactive maps include property boundaries for federal, state, and local lands; accurate hiking and motorized trails; and over one million outdoor-specific points of interest. Both regional and complete US coverage is available.